Thursday, August 2, 2012

Controlling Baby Clothes Backstock

They say hindsight is 20/20.  Now that I am through my first year of parenting, I can say with confidence there are items I was convinced I needed that I did not and items I wish I would have thought to ask for or create prior to baby's arrival.  One such item would be an "Outgrown Baby Clothes Containment System" aka pre-labeled bins, drawers, or underbed boxes that I could quickly store away the clothes that no longer fit by size.  Sure, at first when he was sleeping 10 hours during the day I was great at filing his tiny newborn wear away.  But now that he only naps for around an hour and a half once a day, I must admit that I have gotten a little behind.  So like my Baby File suggestion, I will now be creating these storage drawers or bins for my friends and family as shower gifts.  Here are the steps to create

  1. Start with drawers like these Like It  Modular Storage Drawers from The Container Store or these Stackable Underbed Drawers by Iris from Amazon.com.  You can also use traditional lidded storage bins depending on the type of storage space you have available (you'll need room to stack if you want use storage bins.)  You will need 4-5 total and may want to vary the size based on the size of the clothes.  For instance, since most children wear 6 month clothes for the longest time in their first year, the bin/drawer for 6 month may be larger than the others.
  2. Create labels for each of the following sizes:  Newborn/0-3 Months, 3-6 Months, 6-9 (or 12) Months and perhaps 18 months.
  3. Affix labels and viola!  You are set and ready to give a great shower gift or keep your child's clothes neat and organized once they've outgrown them.

No comments:

Post a Comment