Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Make Your Priorities a Priority

I haven't seen the movie "I Don't Know How She Does It" yet but I think I can relate to the character.  As a new mom and a working mom I often find that I am pulled in what seem like 90 different directions at once.  And he's only 6 months old and hardly mobile.  But it's not just working moms who feel that overwhelming feeling of feeling overwhelmed.  No matter how much you read about becoming a parent or people tell you how much your life will change, you don't really realize how much things change until you are in the thick of things.  
It is important to prioritize activities and commitments as a parent.  I've learned the importance of the word "no" in the last 6 months.  I've learned that the world won't end if I have a little dog hair built up in the corner of my living room.  I've learned it is possible to work part time, run a business, cloth diaper my baby, make my own baby food and train for a half marathon if I make these things a priority.  I stay on track by deciding what is important to do each day and which tasks will help me achieve my goals.  This may mean less TV watching, a somewhat less clean house, definitely less sleep and saying no more often (which was really hard for me to start).  But at the end of the day I feel I am not missing out because I am living the life I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment