Sunday, October 23, 2011

Must Do To-Do's

I used to be the girl that packed 28 hours worth of work into the 24 hour day.  That changed dramatically last winter when I was in my first trimester of pregnancy.  I was lucky if made it to 6 o'clock before I was in bed.  And between working a part-time job and running my own business I quickly realized there were some things I was going to have to give up in order to stay sane and get enough rest.  Fast forward to mommyhood which presented its own array of challenges to keeping up with daily duties.  It's not that I didn't want to get things done, I just found myself asking "when am I supposed to get this done?"  These were some steps I learned to help tackle my to-do's:
  1. Prioritize--Decide what must be done and what can wait.  For me, laundry is a priority because I am using cloth diapers and if I run out it could be bad.  Take that back, it is bad.  This means while my little guy is napping I am washing, drying and folding.  The pet hairballs gathering in the corners are just gonna have to wait.
  2. Wear Your Baby--I am lucky my little guy likes both the Sleepy Wrap (now called Boba Wrap) and the Baby Bjorn.  From the time he was 2 weeks old I have worn him while cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, moping, doing the dishes, making dinner, walking the dogs and even while blogging.  After all, he spent his first 10 months being gently rocked by my activity.
  3. Ask for Help--I have a superwoman complex (thinking I can do it all and do it by myself) so this is particularly hard for me.  I remember an argument during my pregnancy that went along the lines of this... me: "you never help out"  him: "you never ask".  I am much less frustrated when I get over myself and realize that there are things I need help with.
  4. Hire It Out--There are people out there that do most of the stuff you have trouble getting done.  Some of them even enjoy doing the things you hate.  Have someone else do your laundry, clean your house, cook your meals, walk your dogs, etc.  You may not be able to afford it on a regular basis, but perhaps it would make a good birthday or holiday gift.  And it gives you a brief respite and allows you to get back on top of things.
  5. Let It Go--Some things just not going to get done.  It's ok.  Snuggling, tea parties, playing catch, going to the park and the like are much more important now.  In 20 years I am not going to remember doing dishes but I am going to remember time spent with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment